Friday, May 21, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Spring 2010

I had such a nice time on the Blogger's Quilt Festival last year that I had to participate again this year!




The quilt I'd like to share today is the one I made for my younger daughter. Since she and my older daughter share a room, I wanted their quilts to coordinate but have their own personality. They share many of the same fabrics. (If you peek back to last year's post you'll see my older daughter's quilt.) Here it is!



I finished piecing the top before my daughter was born but I think it took a full year before I decided what to use for a border, and then it sat for a good long while again. My mom took it to one of her longarm quilter friends who did a fabulous job with it, and then my mom sewed the binding on, because who knows when I'd have ever finally done it. :)



I always wanted to make a Lone Star quilt but the angles and bias edges scared me. When I saw the Quiltsmart system I knew I would use it for my Maddie's quilt. It was so easy and really took the worry out of it!

I used  the same "Floral Bouquet" by Ladyfingers Studio for Andover Fabrics as on the other quilt and since I had (and still do have!) such a stock of it, I even backed the quilt in it. Still love it!



 This is Age of Innocence by Sharlene Jorgenson for Bernatex. I have a large stock of this one too! I was very concerned about making sure I kept all of this fabric with the lines vertically, so carefully planned the cutting of the background pieces. 



The rosy pink rose fabric is from the "Sentimental Journey" line by Robyn Pandolph. The cranberry and the green are my mystery fabrics. I have no idea who they are by! The green was also in my oldest's quilt, but the cranberry is the only all new addition.



Thanks for stopping by! I'm looking forward to seeing the other beautiful quilts throughout the Blogger's Quilt Festival!

18 comments:

  1. Your quilt and daughters are beautiful!
    I love having the two quilts that tie together without matching. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely lone star quilt- it has a nice vintage feel to it. I think I might be able to make one using the quiltsmart foundations. I love your number fabric collection. What a great idea for birthday and anniversary quilts.
    Sandra Starley
    My festival entries:

    Come see my latest challenge quilt & its 1890 cheddar star original
    http://starleyquilts.blogspot.com

    and my 1890 pink blazing star antique
    http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilt. I would be so nervous doing all of those points. Yours turned out beautifully.
    Thanks for stopping by earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous. I have a Lone Star quilt as a WISP but have not gotten the courage to tackle the setting blocks. Clearly you are braver than I :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt and daughters are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt! How special for your daughters that they each have their own quilt. Love the pic at the end with the cat. My dog is always front and center in my quilt shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep wanting to tackle a lone star quilt as well. It's on my to do list! You did a lovely job.

    And thanks for stopping by my little blog and commenting on my string quilt. My MIL does indeed love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful. Delightful lone star quilt!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is great I wasn't aware of the quilt smart method. I'd seen the squares but nothing else. You should get a commission.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt! That must have been so difficult matching all those points!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous lone star quilt. Such good points. i so want to make myself one of these quilts one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great quilts--both daughters are so lucky to have a talented momma!! interesting about quiltsmart--hadn't heard of it before. nice it worked so well on this

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous Lone Star quilt! I've never seen one done in those colors. Lovely. I've been trying to decide if I need to put that on my quilting bucket list. After looking at yours, I'm thinking the answer may be yes.

    ReplyDelete