I heard about Project Quilting a while back before it started, but didn't have time to join in the 1st challenge and somehow forgot all about it until last week! When I saw the 4th challenge posted last Sunday, I just couldn't get it out of my head, so when I came up with this idea, I knew it was time to jump in!
The theme for Challenge 4 was the log cabin block and the challenge was that the back of at least one fabric had to be included. (See the challenge post for all the rules.) The motto for Project Quilting is "Think outside the square," so that in combination with the log cabin block made me think about an actual block, a cube!
I went hunting in my stash for fabric that I not only loved the right side of, but the wrong side to. When I saw the Moda charm pack of the Basic Grey Eva line I knew that was it! To start, I separated the charm squares out into 6 groups, one for each side. I initially thought I'd use 6 fabrics per side, but ended up using just 5, so I pulled 1 square out of each of these stacks once I started cutting (all the textured solid prints and 1 or 2 patterned prints). See how nice the back of the fabrics are too? Visibly different, but still beautiful!
With only a 5" square of each to work with, I knew the pieced had to be tiny! The center finished to 1" square, and the strips just 1/2".
Here's a little mock up of one of the blocks! I used the right side of the fabric in the center and on the top and left of each little quilt block and the wrong side of the fabric on the right and bottom. I guess I should have put the wrong side on the left and the right on the right, huh? :)
The little blocks all came together really quickly! Here are all 6 unquilted blocks along with the batting and muslin backing for each.
I machine quilted each block in a square spiral pattern. I used a greyish-taupe thread for the 2 dark blocks and white for the 4 lighter blocks.
Assembly time! I made 2 3-block strips. Now picture folding each strip into a C shape and fitting those together --- it makes a block!
With a single seam I sewed the blocks together, leaving the last edge open for turning and stuffing.
And just like that, I went from 6 flat little quilts into a 3-dimensional quilted block!
After turning, stuffing and hand stitching the opening closed, I was done!
I had planned to use this as a pincushion right beside my machine, but I love it so much I don't know if I will! Right now I have it placed where can see it while I'm working!
Be sure to head over to Project Quilting and VOTE for your favorite entry! Of course I'd love to win, but be sure to admire all the amazing entries and pick your favorite! One lucky voter will win a prize too -- vote on the left sidebar and read down through to the end to see how to enter!