Thursday, November 11, 2010

Farmhouse Funk Pillow

I had the pleasure of working with another one of Trish's (aka Two Peas in a Pod Homegrown Designs) lovely patterns a while back and I've been so eager to so you all the result! She debuted finally debuted the pattern at Fall Quilt Market!

Trish has such a fun style! The Farmhouse Funk Pillows really show that off too! Mixing various fabrics, leaving raw edges and using a fun freehand stitch/sketch technique on appliques create a playful end result.



I made a "rooster" pillow but was inspired by the bits and pieces of Bloom & Grow fabric I had left over from my girls' Sydney dresses.  Instead of using the applique pattern included I fussy cut one of the birds out of the large print I used for the dress bodices and made the front panel of the pillow from the fabric I used for the hood.



I didn't have enough fabric left to make the backing just as Trish described in the pattern, so I had to piece together scraps. (My brand new pillowform was extra fluffy at first! The back doesn't gap open anymore.)



And those cute little tail feathers? Those are from the tiny bits I had left of the fabric for the skirt panels, some are even trimmed of selvages I'd saved back! I also used a piece of felted wool that was once a $1 thrift store sweater and a piece of denim from a ripped pair of jeans! 



I didn't have any cording (or any coordinating fabric left) so I used some pretty crocheted lace to trim the pillow.

I just love the result! Don't you? I really want to make a few more pillows to go along with it! I think I will have to try the cute bouncing daisy and buttons & bows designs next time! You can pick up Farmhouse Funk Pillows Pattern at the Two Peas in a Pod Homegrown Designs Etsy shop or at one of the retailers that carry Trish's patterns!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute, Sarah! I love that you used a thrift store sweater! I love Trish's patterns too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing Sarah! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete