Monday, February 14, 2011

Project Quilting - Be My Valentine challenge

The 3rd challenge of Project Quilting season 2 was posted last week and I really wanted to join in! (Voting is up now!)


I came up with a plan pretty early but the week started with a sick kiddo, then came a snowstorm, then migraines…. I finally cut fabric on Thursday and got out to pick up a frame on Friday! Originally I'd had a 10" tall 20" wide frame in mind, but just couldn't find one! So it turned out to be for the best the I waited to start sewing until I found the frame. This frame is 11" x 14".

I made this special little framed quilt as a keepsake for my husband and myself as a reminder of our family. Each heart represents our kids, the rosy heart is our oldest who adores pink, the middle is our second purple-loving daughter, and the third is our little boy. The green border made up of half-inch squares represents me and my husband. (They were inspired by the recent postage stamp quilt-along!)


All the fabrics used for patchwork are either from the kids' baby quilts or from my latest quilt that I made for my husband and I, so it's neat to pick each little piece out and see where it came from!

The hearts were crazy pieced then raw-edged appliquéd on to the pieced background.

In this close up if you squint you can almost see the free-motion quilted loops and hearts on the background.


As I did last season in Project Quilting, I gave myself an additional challenge for each one I completed to try something new! This is the first quilt I've completed with raw edge appliqué and the first quilt I've placed in a frame.

Head on over to Kim's Crafty Apple and see all this week's other Project Quilting entries! Be sure to vote for your favorite!

1 comment: